Monday, July 19, 2010

Workin for the Money...

As I was surfing through the blog world, I saw a post about a certain blogger's past job experiences and I thought it would be neat to write all of mine down too :). So, here goes:

1. Sales Representative : The Shoe Department
This was at the store called The Shoe Department. It pretty much sucked. I only liked it because I got out of school early to get go to work and get paid. Who could really complain about that? I'll never forget my boss stopping me one night right after we closed and saying, "It seems like you're only using this job to get your grade." Amen, Brother! I quit as soon as the school year was over :). I'm not a commission type person. I think that's mostly because my husband is slowly turning my into an anti-impulse buyer. I hate making my money based on how many people buy from me that day. I hate pushy sales people, so I pretty much sucked at this job lol.

2. Daycare Worker: PP
I was hired, bought my scrubs that were required, and never showed up. Oops. My friend scared me a little by telling me what it was really like to work there. There were cameras for the parents to watch the kids on the internet. Great, right? Well, apparently the workers would just go where the cameras didn't see to punish the kids. I wanted no part of that junk.

3. Afternoon Teacher : First Baptist
I would come in after school my senior year and watch 8 2-year-olds all by myself and I absolutely loved it. This was possibly my favorite job ever. My good friend worked in the other 2-year-old room right next to me, so we went to playtimes together and it was wonderful. I still remember those kids and how much fun I had with them. Every day when I woke little Will up, he'd say, "Good morning, Miss Amanda. It's a beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeautiful day." It made my heart happy. Jackson would chase Sean around the playground singing, "Seany, Seany, Seany, Seany, Sean," in this deep voice that was hilarious. I could go on and on about these kids, but I'll leave you with this one last note. The little Will that gave me the most wonderful greeting every day was a very hyperactive kid when I first started working there. He was my "problem child." I made it my mission to give him extra attention that he needed. He was far above the other kids in terms of development and just got bored with the 2-year-old curriculum. I'll never ever forget one day when his mom walked in and told me that Will was being much better at home and she thinks it was because of me ::insert super big happy face here::.
I quit this job to move an hour away for college.

4. Cashier : on-campus Bookstore
I guess I never technically worked here, but I applied, went to orientation, realized the boss is a major B, and never showed up. Woooops.

5. Afternoon Teacher : Primrose Schools
I was in the Older Toddlers room. I loved it except for the workplace drama. And my trouble kid. He was constantly turning bookshelves over, climbing on the sinks, biting, and arrrrrgh. It was just too much for one person to have 8 kids when you are required to change every single diaper every 2 hours and wash their hands even if they aren't wet. I had to quit when I didn't show up due to double pneumonia and ended up in the hospital for almost a month.

6. Cashier : Office Depot
A few words of advice -- NEVER apply to Office Depot right before back to school sales start. I lasted maybe 3 or 4 months there. I'm NOT a retail person.

7. Sales : Linens N Things
I worked through one training session and called the hubby on the way home saying I'd never step foot back in that place as an employee. And I didn't. Nothing was wrong with the people. It just wasn't the job for me. I repeat - I am NOT a retail person. I have no interest in selling you sheets.

8. After School Program Teacher : 3rd grade
I LOVED this job. It was just too far away. I absolutely loved the 3rd graders each year. I think I was there 2.5 years. I cried when I quit lol. It was just too far of a drive, gas was outrageous, and I would soon be starting TOSS (pre- student teaching) anyways.

9. TOSS - First Grade
This wasn't technically a job. I didn't get paid a penny, but it was the same amount of work as a full time job, so I'm including it. I loved working with the first graders. A friend TOSSed in the room next to mine and we were able to do most everything together. It was pretty fabulous.

10. Stay at Home Mom
This is by far the most rewarding job of them all. Also the most tiring. It's totally not true that SAHMs get to sit at home watching talk shows and eating bon bons. My little Alli Kate keeps me on my toes for sure.

There ya go. I don't think I forgot any. It's pretty sad that I've had 10 "jobs" before I'm 25. Maybe I should be embarrassed. Naaaaaaaaah.
I'm very sad that I'll be leaving Alli to go student teach in just a few short weeks, but I will return to my SAHM employment in December.

How many jobs have you had?

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Hi, I'm Amanda. I'm a Mommy, wife, Christian, crafter, mult-tasker extraordinaire. I'm the owner or Cheerful Children Boutique. I'm a Georgia peach, born and raised.

Followers

Thank You

Thank You
Blog Template made by Divine DigiDesign

Search

Powered by Blogger.